Be a preeminent School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering through excellence in education, research, and service
To prepare students for successful careers in the engineering profession
The School has three objectives:
- Provide innovative educational leadership relevant to students and employers
- Advance our research leadership in traditional and emerging areas
- Fulfill our Land-Grant legacy of service and leadership by transferring knowledge relevant to our stakeholders in the Pacific Northwest, including industry and the government
- Goal 1: Continuously improve the national stature of the ME and MSE Programs.
Be a top 25 public school in the US for education and research in Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering.
- Goal 2: Achieve national leadership in strategic areas of research.
Support the technological enterprise of the Pacific Northwest by maintaining a position of influence in the industry and in government bodies throughout the state and the nation.
- Goal 3: Attract and retain excellent and diverse students, faculty, and staff.
Promote equity, diversity and inclusion in conjunction with excellence to become a top choice for students, faculty, and staff in the Pacific Northwest seeking to become leaders in education, research, and service.
- Goal 4: Achieve excellent employment outcomes for our students.
Be recognized as a top-choice school in the Pacific Northwest for entrepreneurship and employment in Fortune 500 companies, academic positions, and scientist positions in National & Government Laboratories.
- Goal 5: Increase engagement in distance-education and consulting to better serve the region.
Enhance the school’s influence within the technological community of the Pacific Northwest and beyond through specialized distance-learning courses, graduate programs, capstone projects, and consulting.