School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering Faculty
Lloyd V. Smith
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Utah, 1994
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Utah, 1991
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Minor: Math, University of Utah, 1988
- Research Assistant Professor, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Tennessee 1995 – 96
- Post-doctoral fellow, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Tennessee 1994 – 95
- Composite Materials:
- multi-axial characterization
- damage and failure modeling
- environmental degradation
- Sports Science:
- experimental bat and ball performance
- numeric modeling of sport ball impacts
- protective equipment and head injury
Recognition and Honors
- Fellow, International Sports Engineering Association (2018)
Complete List of Publications on Google Scholar
- Salavatian, M., Smith, L. V. 2015. “An investigation of matrix damage in composite laminates using continuum damage mechanics,” Composites Structures, 6.12:565-573.
- Salavatian, M., Smith, L. V. 2016. “A NOVEL EXPERIMENTAL TECHNIQUE FOR BIAXIAL TESTING OF A COMPOSITE LAMINATE WITH MATRIX DAMAGE,” Journal of Composite Materials, 50:2783-2792.
- Smith, L. V., Kensrud, J. 2016. “Chapter 26: Impact performance of sports composites,” Dynamic Deformation, Damage and Fracture in Composite Materials and Structures, edited by V. V. Silberschmidt, Elsevier, Woodhead Publishing, 18:545-557.
- Patrick Schwizer, Marc Demierre, Lloyd V. Smith. 2017, “An Experimental and Numerical Study of Softball to Facemask Impacts,” Sports Engineering and Technology, 231.4:336-343.
- Brendan Kays, Lloyd Smith. 2017 “Analysis of Ice Hockey Stick Performance”, Sports Engineering, 20.4:245-254.
- Smith, L. V., 2014. “Hygrothermal Effects of Baseballs and Softballs,” Journal of Sports Engineering, 17.3:123-130.
- Smith, L. V., Kensrud, J. 2014. “Field and Laboratory Measurements of Softball Player Swing Speed,” Journal of Sports Engineering, 17:75-82.
- Siva P. Pilli, Lloyd V. Smith, Shutthanandan Vaithiyalingam, 2014. “MEASURING TIME DEPENDENT DIFFUSION IN POLYMER MATRIX COMPOSITES,” Mechanics of Time Dependent Materials, 18.4:633-641.
- Salavatian, M., Smith, L. V. 2013. “The effect of transverse damage on the shear response of fiber reinforced laminates,” Composites Science and Technology, 95:44-49.
- Burbank, S. D., Smith, L. V., 2012. “Dynamic Characterization of Rigid Polyurethane Foam Used in Sports Balls,” Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology, 226:77-85.