School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering Faculty
- Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering, University of Texas at Arlington, 1995
- M.S. in Metallurgy from the Indian Institute of Science (Bangalore, India), 1992
- B.S. in Metallurgical Engineering from Jadavpur University (Kolkata, India), 1989
- Post-Doctoral training, Center for Ceramic Research at Rutgers University, 1995
- Metallurgical Engineer, Bridge and Roof Company (I) Ltd., India 1989 – 1990
- CSIR-Fellow in CSIR-CGCRI, India, 2007
- Visiting Professor in the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) 2008 & 2014
- Visiting Professor in the Materials Science and Engineering department at Georgia Institute of Technology (Atlanta, GA) 2021
- Metal additive manufacturing
- Biomedical devices
- Additive manufacturing of multi-material structures
Recognition and Honors
- 2022 Boeing Distinguished Professorship
- 2022 Editor, Scientific Reports (Springer-Nature)
- 2022 Associate Editor, Virtual and Physical Prototyping (VPP, Taylor and Francis).
- 2021 Standing member, Musculoskeletal Tissue Engineering (MTE) Study Section (CSR-NIH, 2021 to 2025).
- 2021 Distinguished Faculty Address (DFA) Award, Washington State University.
- 2020 Editor, International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology (Wiley and the American Ceramic Society).
- 2019 Editor-in-Chief, Advances in Materials Science and Engineering (Hindawi).
- 2019 Class of Fellows, Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME).
- 2018 Principal Editor, Journal of Materials Research (Springer-Nature and the Materials Research Society).
- 2017 Elected to the Washington State Academy of Sciences (WSAS).
- 2017 Anjan Bose Researcher Award – Best research faculty of the year, Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture (VCEA), WSU.
- 2017 Outstanding Researcher Award, Mechanical and Materials Engineering, WSU.
- 2015 Class of Fellows, National Academy of Inventors (NAI).
- 2015 Editor-in-Chief, Digital manufacturing (Frontiers).
- 2012 Class of Fellows, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
- 2012 Class of Fellows, American Society for Materials (ASM International)
- 2012 College of Fellows, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE).
- 2011 Class of Fellows, American Ceramic Society.
- 2008 Outstanding Researcher Award, Mechanical and Materials Engineering, WSU.
- 2008 WSU – Graduate and Professional Student Association (GPSA) – Excellence award – Academic Adviser.
- 2005 Outstanding Researcher Award, Mechanical and Materials Engineering, WSU.
- 2000 MSE Outstanding Teaching Faculty, Teaching Excellence Award, WSU.
- 1999 CAREER Award, the National Science Foundation.
- 1998 Young Investigator Program (YIP) Award, the Office of Naval Research.
Complete List of Publications on Google Scholar
- Characterization of Biomaterials Edited by Amit Bandyopadhyay and Susmita Bose, Elsevier (2013).
- Additive Manufacturing Edited by Amit Bandyopadhyay and Susmita Bose, CRC Press (1st Edition – 2015. 2nd Edition – 2019). Chinese edition: Our Additive Manufacturing book has already been translated to Chinese language (February 2018).
- Materials and Devices for Bone Disorders Edited by Susmita Bose and Amit Bandyopadhyay. Elsevier (2016).