Kevin Estelle in a lab
Kevin Estelle

Alumnus Spotlight: Kevin Estelle

Washington State University researchers began a partnership last year with the Department of Defense Army Research Laboratory (ARL) on a cooperative agreement for research focused on materials used in extreme environments. The partnership includes development of a new research center, called Cer3D, that is focused on accelerated discovery, design, and development of ceramic materials and that aims to build US capability in ceramic science and engineering.

As part of the partnership, Kevin “Boulder” Estelle, who received his bachelor’s and PhD at WSU, has recently begun working at the ARL.

Tell me about yourself. How did you end up coming to WSU?

I grew up on a farm in a small town called Colville, Wa., with 7 brothers and sisters. We were all homeschooled until the age of 16. I went to community college at Spokane Falls Community College and transferred to WSU. My professor, Dr. Gorski, suggested that I do so because he wanted me to have access to networking and research resources/experiences. I earned my BS and PhD in Mechanical Engineering from WSU (2017 and 2022, respectively), and was the first undergraduate in the history of the School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering to be awarded the NSF Graduation Research Fellowships Program award.

What was your PhD and post-doc research focus at WSU?

The main focus was tackling major challenges that are associated with a type of 3D printing which is becoming very relevant to the creation of novel/custom medical devices. My thesis title was: “Addressing Flow and Deposition Challenges for Micro-Direct-Ink-Writing of Water-Based Inks Through Humidity and Flow Rate Control.”

The first third of the research focused on addressing fundamental challenges such as clogging, layer-to-layer fusion, and part-shape fidelity. The second third was dedicated to building and characterizing a new 3D printer and the materials we printed. The last third was devoted to automating flow rate control through an algorithm that we are currently trying to get patented.

How did you get interested in this area of research? Why do you like the work?

My WSU advisor, Dr. Gozen, introduced me to 3D printing as a research project. However, it wasn’t until the last year of my PhD studies that I discovered my more specific passion for process engineering, programming, and mechatronics.

I love working with my hands and building things or working on machines, but also love planning, analyzing, programming, and automating, and so mechatronics/control systems is the perfect merger of all those things.

How did you end up working at the Army Research Lab (ARL)?

My post doc at WSU was funded through a grant agreement between WSU and ARL. An ARL representative in Spring 2023 let WSU know that they needed a mechatronics/control system expert for their ceramics team to help work on automation and characterization capabilities. It was suggested that I send my CV, so I did, and was immediately contacted by the Ceramics Branch Chief for a video interview the next day. After that they flew me out to Maryland in July 2023 for a final interview/presentation/lab tour, and I started here February 5th, 2024 after the long drive from Washington.

What are you doing at ARL?

I am designing and building new machinery with advanced/novel capabilities for the Ceramics and Transparent Materials Branch which will enable automated and high-throughput characterization of army-relevant materials at ultra-high temperatures for various applications.

How did WSU prepare you for your work at ARL and for your career?

My time in Dr. Gozen’s lab (MPML) was invaluable. In fact, one of the main reasons I started a PhD program was simply that I wanted to work alongside him longer so that I could learn more from him personally.

His academic rigor, involving me early on in decision making and paper writing, transparency, and kindness prepared me very well for ARL. The staff here immediately knew I could handle a lab almost completely on my own and have given me a great deal of responsibility and freedom because of how well I was trained at WSU.

Anything else you want to add?

Although I’m having a great time in Maryland and ARL, being close to water, and experiencing historic areas of the country, I miss the Pacific Northwest and my family greatly. I am planning to come back in the next couple of years, and possibly as a professor.