- Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering, Ohio State University, 2004
- M.S. in Materials Science and Engineering, Harbin Engineering University, Harbin, China, 2000.
- B.S. in Metallic Materials and Heat Treatment, Harbin Engineering University, Harbin, China, 1997.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) Department, Northwestern University, 2004-2006.
- Advanced materials (e.g., light weight materials and structures, nanoporous materials, nanocomposites, nanostructured multilayered thin films, lattice block structures) for structural, energy, and bio-applications
- Nano and micro fabrication/manufacturing, and materials synthesis/processing
- Mechanical behavior of materials, Nano/micro-mechanics, Fatigue and Fracture
- Relationship among processing, structure and property of advanced materials
- Biomaterials and Biomechanics, bone/dental implant materials, biomedical applications of shape memory alloys, magnesium alloys, and titanium alloys
- NSF CAREER Award
- TMS Young Leader Professional Award
- Nevada Regents Rising Researcher Award
- UNR Junior Faculty Research Award