- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2010
- Hydrogen, Deuterium, Tritium and Mixtures
- Small, Modular Hydrogen Liquefier Design
- Thermophysical Property Modelling and Measurement
- Rocket and Space Stage Vehicle Design
- Liquid Hydrogen Fueling of Unmanned Aerial Systems/Vehicles (UAS/UAV)
- ASME K7 Committee on Thermophysical Properties
- Board of the Cryogenic Engineering Conference of the Cryogenic Society of America
- Western Association of Graduate Schools/University Manuscripts International Distinguished Thesis Award (2007)
- J. Bahrami, P. Gavin, R. Bliesner, S. Ha, P. Pedrow, A. Mehrizi-Sani, and J.W. Leachman, “Effect of Orthohydrogen-Parahydrogen Composition on Performance of a Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy (In Press) DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2014.07.014
- R. Bliesner, P. Adam, and J.W. Leachman, “Parahydrogen-orthohydrogen conversion for enhanced Vapor-Cooled Shielding of Liquid Oxygen Tanks,” AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, (In Press) DOI: 10.2514/1.T4366
- I. Richardson, J.W. Leachman, and E.W. Lemmon, “Fundamental Equation of State for Deuterium,” Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data, 43 (2014) 013103.
- J.W. Leachman, R.T Jacobsen, S.G. Penoncello, E.W. Lemmon, “Fundamental Equations of State for Parahydrogen, Normal Hydrogen, and Orthohydrogen.” Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data 38, 721-748 (2009).