- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering and Engineering Mechanics, Michigan Technical University, 1987
- Mechanics: Multiscale modeling, numerical analysis, plasticity, composites, materials instabilities, damage and fracture.
- Materials: Dislocation theory, dislocation dynamics, crystal plasticity, defects, radiation effects, nanomaterials.
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (2011)
- 2010 Khan International Award for Outstanding contribution to the field of Plasticity
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (2002)
- Computational Mechanics Achievement Award, Japanese Society of Mechanical Engineers(2003)
- Member: Academy of Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics, Michigan Technological University 2004
- Member: Lebanese Academy of Sciences http://www.asliban.org/